So I have been thinking and thinking of what to do for today’s posts. I normally try to dig a little deeper when it comes to Wednesday posts or as I have lovingly labeled them “weepy Wednesdays” but I just kept coming up a little dry. Then I realized Friday is Valentine’s Day!
I am not really huge on valentine’s day, in that my husband and I generally speaking don’t celebrate it (except for that one time he proposed). I mean we do try and do something together, but when it comes down to it we do that every week so there is never anything super special about v-day when it rolls around. So I figured it would be fun to post 14 ideas of things you could do on valentine’s day instead of eating a box of chocolate.
So here they are 14 Valentine’s Day Activity Ideas:
1. Hit up the gym with your partner or a friend. Nothing says I love you like sweating all over someone you care about.
2. Hit up a heart opening yoga class. You don’t always need to attend power classes, sure it is fun to get sweaty and get a good stretch, but it is also good to work on opening up that heart of ours.
3. If you are in Canada chances are you are currently living in a winter wonderland so get out there and have fun with it. Do some skating on a pond, snow shoeing or skiing.
4. Check out a winter festival. Here in Ottawa Winterlude is going on, there is lots to look at like ice sculptures, snow sculptures, as well as different vents and activities throughout the city, and at the end of all of it you can grab a hot chocolate to warm up.
5. Try out a new healthy recipe. It is always fun to test out new food, it is even more fun to try out new food with friends and loved ones.
6. Have some friends over to play some board games.
7. Get some popcorn ready snuggle up with your partner or invite over some friends and watch some of your favorite movies, or just binge watch some Netflix.
8. Looking for a little more romance, go and get a couples massage. Our muscles work for us every day, sometimes it is good to treat them with a therapeutic massage.
9. Maybe you want to be a bit more “traditional” in your valentine’s activity so how about a dance class. You don’t have to be good at something to have a blast, so lace up your dancing shoes and hit up a dance class.
10. Nothing says friendship or love like rock climbing right? Maybe it something you do regularly and would like to share with a friend or loved one, it isn’t too expensive and a good rock climbing facility will have loads of walls for you to try out. You might not be able to lift your arms the following day but you will have a blast trying to get to the top.
11. Nothing says love like giving back. We all live in places where I am sure there are loads of activities you can sign up for solo, with a partner or a group of friends. The best part about volunteering is you get to give back and stay active, check out your local charity organizations I am sure some of them are always looking for a helping hand.
12. Do you have a competitive streak? If you are anything like me you might have just a tiny bit of one. If you do with your friend or partner set up some short workouts that you can compete against each with. See who can finish each exercise fastest, nothing gets your blood flowing like a little healthy competition.
13. Not all chocolate is bad for you. Try your hands at making some cute dark chocolate treats for you and your friends.
14. RELAX! Not everything fitness related is about sweating, sometimes it is just as important to slow down and take a break. Snuggle up with some tea and a good book, cuddle with your kittens, sit back relax and have a conversation.
I hope you all have a great valentine’s day and get to spend it with your friends, family and/or partner. I think this time of year it is important to remember that valentine’s day although it is a holiday mostly to sell junk is about appreciating all the special people in your life and not just about glorifying being in a relationship.
So find a friend, grab your sister or brother, your dad or your mom, husband or wife, girlfriend or boyfriend or ALL of them and go and do something fun!