Weekend Round Up – Races and Food

This past weekend was a bit nutty but much appreciated after a week of being quarantined to the couch.  I get a little restless after being sick for two long, it seems that every time I come down with something I expect to be healed and healthy within max two days of getting sick, unfortunately that is not always the case.  But I digress, after a week of not socializing, running, going to the gym, and yoga I was more than happy to dive back in Friday.

My Friday evening gym session wasn’t as successful as I had hoped I was happy that I at least gave it a go.  Even though it wasn’t the best gym day I was proud of myself for respecting my body and going a little easy on myself despite my ego wanting to do more.  After the gym and some studying I was stoked to get ready to hang out with a girlfriend of mine. We haven’t had too much one on one time in the past couple of months so we booked a sushi date. It was so nice to get to sit down in a quiet space and just chat without all the distractions of entertaining, children, other friends etc. It was nice mellow little Friday evening.

Saturday started bright and early, I headed off to the gym the second it opened and then over to a friend’s house to help them with their own workouts.   After wrapping up all my gym time I headed over to pick up Susan so we could grab our race kits.  We headed off to the Running Room to pick up our CIBC Run for the Cure race packages and then over to the Aviation Museum to get our Fall Colours Half Marathon package.   The only blip here was that apparently the pick up location for the half marathon had changed without notice, so after a bit of a frustrating afternoon we were able to figure everything out and will be attempting (hopefully succeeding) at picking up our half kits next week before the race.   After the running around had been completed I sequestered myself in a room and hit the books again (my Personal Training exam is coming up this week).

run for the cureSunday was another early day,  with the Run for the Cure starting at 9:30am Susan and I wanted to be sure to hit up the farmer’s market before hand, so we headed off to do some groceries right as the market opened. Quickly dropping off our food we then headed over to the start line and started getting pumped up.  The Run for the Cure is always such a fun run full of families, school groups, teens and kids and has some of the best cheering sections I have ever had the opportunity to be cheered by.  Although the run is a fun run and fundraiser Susan and I always want to do better than the year before and this year we definitely did a good job running our 5k in under 30minutes which felt pretty great.  finish so quickly also meant we were lucky enough to beat the rain, which just made everything all the better.

brunchAfter our race we decided to treat ourselves to a nice brunch at Gezellig which was absolutely delicious. It is always nice to treat yourself to a nice little outing with a friend. After brunch it was back to my study room for another couple hours of information digestion before setting up to work on my meal prep for the week.

meal prepAs usual my meal prep starts days before the actual cooking.  I always start by looking through old and new recipes, what is in the fridge and what will be in the fridge.  Normally I pick one type of protein and just go with it for the week, come Fridays I just suck it up and eat the chicken for the millionth time that week.  This week however  I wanted to try something new out and see if it actually tacks on more time to cook up multiple choices.   Short answer “no” cooking more than one type of protein did not increase my meal prep time.  The oven was already on so adding a different type of protein to the mix didn’t drastically change the time I required to make my meals.

With my half marathon this coming weekend I wanted to make sure to have a good mix of healthy complex carbs, loads of veggies and some lean healthy protein.  So I went with  tilapia and salmon, sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts from the farmers market, and a new and delicious fall style quinoa salad (I will likely share the recipe on Friday).  After making all my tasty lunches for the week I turned to our left over turkey from the Feast and made my husband some turkey pot pies for while I am away at Yoga Teacher Training next month.

About 3/4th of the way through my meal prep I thought I should have taken pictures of what my kitchen actually looks like while I am cooking and making up multiple meals, so I will do my best next week to show you what type of disaster zone is created while I am making my meals.

foodSurprisingly all of this took less than 2.5 hours, which I guess might sound like a long time but for three different types of meals and a boat load of quinoa salad and the majority of my meals taken care of for the rest of the week 2.5hours is nothing.

After finishing up meal prep and studying for the day I anchored myself to a couch and watched some Parks and Rec before heading off to bed.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and Happy Monday!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s