I would like to start off with saying Happy 4th of July to all of my American Pals out there! I hope your celebrations are filled with friends, fun and tasty foods!
This morning I started my day off with a delicious smoothie make of kale, strawberries, apple and coconut water. I initially bought some coconut water to make a refreshing watermelon beverage for Canada day. I figured it would be a great non-alcoholic option, and seeing how coconut water is full of electrolytes and we were all sitting in the sun for the afternoon I figured it couldn’t hurt. Since this success I have been obsessed with coconut water. Now I am not, I repeat not, a fan of the flavour of coconut water on its own. But once it is mixed into something, I find that it does a great job of taking on the flavours of whatever it is added to.
So I am not sure if you have guessed it yet, but yes I am going to give a rundown about why coconut water is so awesome! There are loads of reasons why coconut water is so awesome (besides its flavour that is) but I have decided to pick just five. So here it is, why coconut water is awesome!
- Unlike coconut oil and coconut flesh, the water is naturally low in fat and calories. The water is actually sourced from young green coconuts and is just a clear liquid that lives in the middle of the coconut.
- Coconut water is filled with electrolytes! Commercial sports drinks are (in my opinion) gross. They are filled with sugars, salts, and various other colourings, flavourings and other weird processed wonderment. Whereas coconut water (as long as you are getting the delicious unsweetened organic stuff) is just, well, water from a coconut! Although there is some sugar it is naturally occurring and there aren’t mass amounts of it.
- It has as much potassium as eating FOUR bananas, and that well that is bananas. Potassium is great for brain function, muscle cramps, lowering blood pressure, ensuring healthy growth of muscles, helps your metabolism process things like fat, proteins and carbohydrates, and the list just keeps on going!
- If potassium wasn’t enough coconut water is full of nutrients, like complex B vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin and pyridoxine, and folates.
- It is also anti-viral and anti-bacterial, which means it is a good go to the next time you get sick.
Now that I have gotten that off my chest here is the workout I have been promising you all. I have been neglecting the cardio section of my workin’ it section so I figured it was about time for me to post dedicated to getting you super sweaty. This one should do the trick and should give you that wonderful muscle ache in the core tomorrow.
Be sure to take no longer than a minute rest between sets, the whole workout should take you about 25 minutes to complete. For the skip rope if you don’t have one just mimic skipping rope it is just as effective. And if you are looking to kick it up a notch to the russian twists grab an 8-10lbs medicine ball or dumbbell and hold it in your hands while twisting from side to side.
Let me know what you think of the new workout in the comments below, and let me know if you have any other suggestions of areas you would like me to focus on in my next workout.
Happy Thursday Everyone!