Last night I was on my own for supper and when that happens I normally end up treating myself to something my husband isn’t particularly fond of; like anything with rice, quinoa, beans or lots of veggies. Last night was no exception, I broke out the quinoa and got pretty excited that it would be on my plate for supper.
I have made several variations of this chicken marinade but yesterday I am so happy I measured everything out because it turned out so delicious!
Lemony Chicken and Quinoa
2 chicken breasts diced
1 lemon juiced
1 shallot diced finely
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp Italiano seasoning
Dash of cayenne pepper (more or less to your liking)
2 cups broccoli chopped
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup organic broth
1. Place diced chicken in a Ziplock bag. Mix oil, lemon juice,shallot herbs, and cayenne pepper together.
2. Once blended added to the bag of chicken. Massage the marinade into the chicken. Let sit for at least 30 minutes. You can let it sit over night if you plan ahead.
3. Which the chicken is marinating rinse the quinoa thoroughly. Place rinsed quinoa in a small sauce pan with the broth (I used vegetable). Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer. Continue cooking until all liquid has evaporated. Fluff with a fork and turn off heat. Cover and let sit until the chicken is finished.
3. Heat a large frying pan to medium high heat. Once heated place chicken and chopped broccoli. Cover for approximately 3 minutes to allow the broccoli to begin turning a bright green. Remove lid and continue to cook until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.
4. Place quinoa on a plate an top with chicken. Serve and enjoy.