Hello everyone, sorry for the delay, besides some technical difficulties it was my mom’s birthday yesterday so I was pretty busy helping her celebrate yesterday and didn’t have the chance to get close to a computer.
This week’s food addition was inspired by this recipe posted on Epic Fitness Ottawa’s blog earlier this week. I have full intentions of testing out the Epic recipe I just didn’t have some of the ingredients and figured “Hey I have part French Canadian I can figure this out” so I looked in the fridge checked out what I had and started creating, the results were pretty delicious.
Sweet Potato Pâté Chinois
2 lbs ground veal
3 Medium Sweet Potatoes
2 tsp coconut oil
4 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary whole
2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary finely chopped
1 Yellow Pepper diced
3 Stalks of Celery diced
3 Cloves of Garlic crushed
2 tsp Chili Powder
1 1/2 cups Peas
5 Mushrooms diced
1 medium Onion diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt coconut oil in a small bowl in the microwave. Wash, peel and dice sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes. In a large bowl coat the sweet potatoes with the melted coconut oil. Layer on a baking sheet and lay whole rosemary over the sweet potatoes. Potatoes will cook for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, in a heated dip lipped frying pan add half of the diced onion, celery and sweet pepper. Cook until onions begin to soften, about 2-3 minutes, once onions have started to soften add chili powder, stir and cook for another minute. Add in veal cook until veal is no longer pink. Once veal is cooked layer the bottom of a 2.75 liter or 8×8 (slightly smaller) casserole dish with the mixture.
- In the same pan used to cook the veal add the other half of the diced onion, mushrooms, and peas. Cook until peas and onions are cooked through, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Once pea mixture is cooked layer on top of veal mixture in the casserole dish.
- Remove fully cooked roasted sweet potatoes from the oven, place in a large bowl and mash. Once thoroughly mashed place potatoes in the casserole dish as the top layer.
- Place the casserole in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes to set in the flavours.
- Serve hot.