I have baked!!! Baking isn’t something I love doing, ask anyone, I whine about it constantly but I am conflicted with the desire to eat baked goods on a regular basis. My nut allergy keeps me out of bakeries so basically if I want a baked good I have to make it, or if I am lucky I can convince someone else to bake it for me in a nut free environment.
This week I had a HUGE surplus of apples and decided it was time to bake something delicious with them. After scouring the internet for a low fat or reduced sugar or dairy free recipe I eventually stumbled upon one that gave me some excellent guidance. I changed things up to get rid of the refined sugar and I increased the cinnamon a bit because I am obsessed and it turned out delicious.
Cinnamon Apple Bread
3 cups whole wheat flour (all purpose flour is fine too, it will be fluffier)
2.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups organic maple syrup + 2.5 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 medium apples peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together the first 5 ingredients until everything is well blended.
- In a small bowl combine maple syrup and 2 tsp of baking soda and mix until baking soda is dissolved into the maple.
- Take the maple syrup mixture and in a medium bowl combine with vegetable oil, applesauce eggs, vanilla and diced apples. Once it is mixed together, pour liquid mixture into the large bowl of dry ingredients, mix well. I used a spatula to fold in the apple mixture with the dry ingredients, be sure to get all pockets of flour.
- Liberally spray two 8×4 loaf pans, then divide mixture evenly between the pans. Place filled pans in a preheated oven and cook for 40-45 minutes. Loaves are done when a toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 – 20 minutes before attempting to remove them from the pan. Once removed slice and enjoy.
The original recipe can be found here at Oh My! Sugar High.
Happy Friday Everyone! Don’t forget to turn your clocks back this weekend!