The other day I was having a conversation with a girlfriend and we both concluded that we loved to sweat and there were several reasons why. The other night at the gym it struck me that it might be fun to list my top ten reasons for why I love to sweat so much, and then this post was born.
Before I get into it I have a bit of a hilarious/embarrassing moment to share with the world, because if we can’t laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at right? In order to stage this story, one thing you have to know about me is I need to keep a calendar/ day planner (my iPhone) in order to know what I have committed to and when. Normally once I put something into my phone I am pretty good at remembering it, and generally don’t have to look back at it and the fact that the phone gives me a reminder on that day helps too. Well yesterday was one of those days that I definitely should have been looking at the calendar, or at least questioning why I hadn’t received a reminder.
I was convinced that I had a personal training session so I got home from work and hurried myself to cut up some veggies and get everything ready to make a delicious buckwheat miso soup for supper (picture below), then off I went in what was worse than normal rush hour traffic to the gym to meet up with my trainer for a good workout. Being early I thought I would be a good student and put in a nice 20 minute warm up 10 minutes on the stationary bike and 10 minutes on the elliptical. Believing my training to be at 5PM I began to wonder at 4:55PM where Alannah was, she is always on time if not early and I was just hoping she hadn’t fallen prey to the flu virus that seems to be going around lately. Then it came over me, “oh goodness maybe I am supposed to be here at 6PM” slightly embarrassed I casually walked back to the lockers and checked my phone to assure myself that my session was infact at 5PM.
Upon checking my phone I learnt that there was no training session yesterday, it is today. After explaining what happened to the others in the gym, and saying my embarrassed good-byes I comforted myself in knowing that at least I got to put in a little cardio so all was not lost.
- That natural shine. I know I probably stink but I can’t help but think “damn I look good” when I see myself covered in sweat.
- The feeling of a bead of sweat dripping off my nose.
- How soft my skin feels after a good sweat.
- Wearing heathered grey t-shirts and inspecting the sweat lines at the end of my workout.
- It makes me feel hardcore.
- It feels purifying, almost like I am sweating out stress, anger, sadness or any other negative emotion.
- It is an obvious payout. It’s something so small that brings such a huge amount of pride.
- It is motivational, the harder I push the more sweat I get to see.
- It means I am moving and challenging myself.
- Discovering you can literally sweat from anywhere not just your armpits. I mean did you know sweat could come out of your knees or the tops of your feet?
What is your favourite way to get your sweat on?
Can you believe it is already Wednesday! Halfway to the weekend.