This weekend as anticipated was a busy one. From family visiting to a baby shower there was not a dull moment. With the weekend being such a busy one unfortunately working out became a secondary concern. I was able to fit it in here and there by sneaking in push-ups and sit-ups before my showers, or by opting to ride my bike to the store instead of driving. Although I was able to have tiny segments of exercise here and there working out definitely fell to the sidelines this weekend.
Besides getting some quality time with my soon to be in-laws I would have to say the baby shower was the highlight of my weekend. It was just a small shower with close friends and the grandmas to be, but we
think hope everyone had a great time.
Myself and a good friend planned this extravaganza for our pregnant girlfriend. We had decided that a low key tea party, with some classic china was the way to go. Serving some delicious foods like lightened up and crustless quiches, Greek salad, fruit salad and of course some gluten free cupcakes and gummy bears, we soon ended up with WAY too much food for 13 women. But it is always better to have too much rather than not enough…right?
Having the focus on “low key” we had asked the guests not to wrap their presents and instead decided to create a display area. Saving the planet a little and also providing the guests with a fun table of little boy presents to check out for the duration of the party. Because nothing was to be wrapped each guest was so creative in finding a fun and cute way to “wrap” there gifts. I am definitely regretting forgetting to snap a picture because it looked so great!
We had also arranged for a bib making station. Each guest made a bib with a cute saying or just some cute decorations. It was definite fun to see what everyone came up with. Unfortunately, my picture taking fizzled off after I snapped some pictures of the food, and I missed out on these too, which is really too bad because everyone put so much thought and effort into their bibs, it was such a fun activity.
Seeing how I skipped Sunday’s recipe recap again I figured I would share the quiche recipe from the party. The contents are the same and it would be up to you to decide if you wanted them gluten free/ crustless or not. For crustless ones you just need a mini muffin tray or even just a muffin tray would be fine (although the ratio for servings would definitely change). I think having a silicone tray would make them way easier to get out, but a well greased tray would work fine too.
32 servings – serving is 1 tart
Crustless: Calories 32.8 – Fat 1.9g – Saturated Fat 0.9g – Carbs 0.8g – Fiber 0.1g – Protein 3.4g
With Crust: Calories 73.3g – Fat 4.5g – Saturated Fat 1.7g – Carbs 4.7g – Fiber 0.2g – Protein 3.8g
1 package pre-made tart shells
6 egg whites
1/4 cup rice milk
1 cup light old cheddar grated
1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan
2 cups diced mushrooms
1/2 medium Spanish onion
- Bake tart shells as directed on package. Easiest is to spread them out on a cookie sheet, makes putting them back in the oven filled so much easier. Remove from oven and set.
- Be sure oven is preheated to 375 for cooking the quiches once assembled.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking oil. Once hot add in onions and mushrooms, cooking until they are cooked through. Onions will be translucent. This will take about 8-10 minutes at medium heat.
- Set mushroom mixture aside. in a large bowl – I like one with a pouring spout – mix eggs, egg whites and rice milk. Beat together until mixed.
- Place a spoon full of mushroom mixture and equally distribute both cheeses into each tart shell. Make sure there is still room for the eggs as it is essential to the quiche.
- Poor egg into each tart shell.
- Cook the quiches for 15-20minutes, or until egg is cooked.
These little guys can be made a day or two ahead of time and are delicious little bites of protein. Please note: you can change the veggies up for anything. Other delicious combinations are Swiss cheese and asparagus, broccoli and cheddar, or any of your favourit combinations would work.
Have a wonderful Monday.