This week, sparked by the gorgeous weather and the good time on my 5k race, it is like I have a completely new set of motivators, or at the very least renewed set of motivators, pushing me along to make it to the gym and yoga, to stick to those goals I had established in January and February. So I figured it was probably time to get back to the basics of those goal, and the “why” in my setting them.
The point of the goals was to keep me accountable and motivated to reach my goal of a healthy life style. This is not to say that my life style isn’t healthy but that I feel that I can always strive for something happier, healthier, more suited to my likes and dislikes. Through the course of establishing these goals I have realized some things about myself.
- I love getting up and going to the gym in the morning, it gives me energy for the rest of the day and it is super peaceful BUT doing it 5 days a week seems very unreasonable to a life balance, as going to bed at 8pm every night so I can wake up at 4:30am isn’t always feasible, life happens.
- I am not a huge fan of hot yoga. I love sweating, I love the heat, I mean heck I love running in 30+ degree weather, but it is something about being jammed into a small room with other people sweating all over the place in 30+ temperatures that holds me back from signing up to daily classes. I need the flexibility to choose the temperature of my class, and the style. Variety seems to be key.
- I prefer working out on my own. This is probably why I love being at the gym at 5am, the place is virtually empty.
- Swimming although I enjoy it would require HUGE push for me to incorporate it into my workout routine. Having to get all drenched in water and jump into a pool at 5am for some reason is off putting to me. I generally blame this bodily revolt of water on sensitive skin, but I am not actually sure what it is all about. So as much as I like swimming it probably won’t turn into a weekly thing like running and yoga have.
- I love feeling sore after a good workout, even if I whine about it for half of the day.
- Water is my favourit (this has always been true for me).
- Veggies YES PLEASE!
I hope everyone has been getting nicer than seasonal norm weather, and hopefully that has also sparked your motivation to stick to your health and fitness goals and push yourself hopefully to the next level.
So I have neglected the food time posts lately but no fear I am back on track with a delicious recipe which was inspired by a recipe I found on Pinterest and have since been unable to find again. So it is a little bit of improvisation and a lot a bit of delicious vitamin packed flavour. I must warn you the picture it isn’t so pretty, but what it lacks in beauty it makes up for in flavour!
1 small to medium Spaghetti Squash
1 tbsp olive oil + additional for squash
3 hand fulls of baby spinach
1 hand full of cherry tomatoes quartered
6 medium to large brown mushrooms diced
2 cloves of fresh garlic
1/4 of a large Spanish onion
Salt and Pepper for seasoning
1. Cut the squash in half and removed the seeds with a spoon. Rub the inside of the squash with about 1 tsp of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 45-60minute. To speed up this process before cutting it open to remove the seeds and season poke the outside with a fork and microwave for 4-5 minutes starting the cooking process.
2. Once squash is done remove from oven and set aside to let it cool.
3. In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp of oil. Add in garlic and onions, cook until no longer raw, about 3-4minutes. Add in mushrooms, tomatoes, and spinach. While everything is starting to cook take a fork and scrape the inside of the squash to remove the “meat”, once cleaned out add the spaghetti looking squash to the skillet and mix together. Cook until the mushrooms and the spinach are adequately cooked and wilted about 6-7minutes.
**if you are serving this as a meal I would recommend adding some protein to it, either some marinated tofu, or some chickpeas. I was originally going to be putting chickpeas in this dish but forgot.
Happy Wednesday Everyone!